My sister gave me a mini donut pan for Christmas...it is adorably cute
photo from Amazon
So, naturally, I had to try it out. I never buy donuts (or doughnuts...somewhere along the way the spelling changed). However, the kids love them (and who doesn't) but they are horribly bad for you, with all their trans fat and what not. When I saw baked donut recipes popping up on different food blogs, I knew it was something I wanted to try! Thanks to my lil' sis - I got my chance today :)
How cute are they?
This was Mr. Two's first donut experience due to his food allergies...
He's a fan. I think he ate half a dozen.
Baked Chocolate Cake Donuts
from Got No Milk
1 cup AP flour *I used 3/4 cup AP and 1/4 cup whole wheat
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup sugar *I used 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup Splenda
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon fine grain salt
2 tablespoons margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg *I used an egg replacement of 1 T. vinegar, 1 T. milk, 1 t. baking powder
chocolate glaze **I didn't use the chocolate glaze, which I'm sure would be amazing. I used a simple glaze of confectioner's sugar and cocoa.
- Lightly grease a donut tin and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda, and then whisk in the sugar, nutmeg, and salt. Add the margarine, and using your fingers, rub it into the dry ingredients until it becomes coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, vanilla, and egg. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Do not overmix, or your donuts may be a bit rubbery. My batter was very thick and a little dry, so I added another T. of milk. Probably due to the lack of egg in my recipe.
- Fill a ziploc bag with the batter, cut an opening in one corner, and pipe the batter into each cup 1/2 to 3/4 full. It’s important not to overfill, or as the donuts rise, you’ll lose the hole.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, until the donuts spring back when touched. Let cool slightly on a wire rack before glazing. It only took abt 5 minutes for the mini donuts.