Thursday, February 16, 2012

Butter Pecan Popcorn

Well, mine is actually minus the pecan...

The absolute BEST popcorn treat I have ever made was this "Cinnabon" Popcorn - it was unholy good. Probably b/c it's made with a stick of butter, among other things.  So, when I found this recipe, claiming to be a caramel corn alternative that was much lower in fat/calories...I decided to give it a try.  It wasn't over-the-moon good, but it was a tasty, quick, sweet treat.  My kids and I crushed it one day after school.

Butter Pecan Popcorn from Recipes.com

8  cups  popped popcorn (about 1/3 to 1/2 cup unpopped)
Nonstick cooking spray
1/2  cup  broken pecans  **I omitted due to little man's allergies
2  tablespoons  butter or margarine **I used Smart Balance
1/3  cup  light corn syrup
1/4  cup  instant butterscotch (or butter pecan pudding mix) **I used sugar free/fat free butterscotch
3/4  teaspoon  vanilla

Discard unpopped popcorn kernels. Spray a 17x12x2-inch roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place the popped corn and pecans in the pan. Keep popcorn warm in a 300 degree F oven while making coating.
In a small saucepan melt the margarine or butter. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in the corn syrup, pudding mix, and vanilla. Pour syrup mixture over popcorn. With a large spoon, gently toss the popcorn with the syrup mixture to coat.
Bake popcorn, uncovered, in a 300 degree F oven for 16 minutes, stirring halfway through baking. Remove the pan from the oven. Turn mixture onto a large piece of foil. Cool popcorn completely. When cool, break into large pieces. Store leftover popcorn, tightly covered, in a cool, dry place for up to 1 week. Makes about 9 (1-cup) servings.

Verdict/Notes - I think I may have used more than 8 cups of popcorn.  I made a big bowl with my air popper and went with it - so, that may explain why I didn't have great coverage of my popcorn.  Therefore, I recommend measuring out 8 cups!  Also, I used sugar free/fat free instant pudding, so I don't know if that made a difference in the coating or not.  I may try it next time with regular instant pudding.  I think it would be really good with the pecans, but since my son loves popcorn, I wanted him to be able to eat it too.  Bottom line, it was a decent after school snack!  I will probably make it again, and play with the recipe and see what I come up with. 

Linking up with Eat at Home for Ingredient Spotlight: popcorn

3 comments:

  1. Can you believe I've never tried a popcorn recipe? My family is dead-set against messing with popcorn, but I'm sorely tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for kicks n' giggles try drizzling melted peanut butter over popcorn. MMMmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...