mmmmm, fresh strawberries!
Once upon a time, I was a weird kid who didn't really like strawberries. They have grown on me over the years, and this year, I can't seem to get enough!
I thought I would make the kids and I a special treat -
Strawberries, Sugar Free Cool Whip, Chocolate Chip Biscuits, topped with a little sugar free chocolate syrup. Chocolate. Chip. Biscuits. Oh yes.
Chocolate Chip Biscuits adapted from Cooking During Stolen Moments
- 3 c. flour (I used 1/2 all-purpose and 1/2 whole wheat)
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 T. baking powder
- 3/4 t. salt
- 1/2 c. butter (I used 1/4 c. Smart Balance butter and 1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce)
- 1-2 c. chocolate chips (I used a combo of dark and semi sweet - 1 cup)
- 1/2-1 c. milk (I only needed about a 1/2 cup, skim milk)
1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut butter and applesauce into the flour mixture until crumbly. Stir in chocolate chips.
2. Add the milk, a little at a time, just until dough comes together. If you add too much milk and the dough becomes too sticky, add a little more flour.
3. Roll out dough and cut, or just drop 1/4 c. portions onto a baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until fully cooked and lightly browned on top. I made these a little larger than usual since I wanted to make big mack daddy strawberry shortcakes :)
I love this pic. Check out the top left corner....little hands that couldn't wait to get into the strawberries too. He likes his with powdered sugar.