Thursday, September 27, 2012

Mexican Style Chicken and Rice Soup with Roasted Vegetables

This is a recipe that came about by accident.  It started as a wildly popular recipe I saw on Pinterest....that was a complete and utter failure :-(  I'm not going to link to the original post, b/c I did not follow that person's cooking recommendations, just comments I saw on Pinterest. It involved seasoning packets (ranch and taco seasoning) and cooking chicken in the crockpot. I think cooking it in the crockpot with the seasonings was my mistake.  It was SO salty that it was almost inedible.  So I had 2 lbs of salty taco-ish flavored chicken that I did not want to waste.  I decided the best use of it would probably be in soup, b/c my soup usually isn't salty enough anyway!
I decided to make this Chicken Tortilla Soup again.  But I wanted to change it up a little.  I wanted to add brown rice, and I wanted lime juice.  So....chicken and rice soup with a Mexican flair.  However, the flavor from the broth of the original Chicken Tortilla Soup was really good with the poblano and jalapeno peppers, so I wanted to keep those.  Then I had another little brain storm...how about roasting all the veggies before adding them to the soup?!  YES! So now it's Roasted Vegetable Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup! That is quite a mouthful for a title...how about we just call it RVMCR Soup.  Nahh, that sounds like some new virus or something.

Anyway, the soup turned out amazing!  I mean, seriously delicious, and I am just hoping that I can remember everything I did so that I can recreate it now that it is Fall! (sorta Fall...supposed to be in the mid 80's today!)
Mexican Style Chicken and Rice Soup with Roasted Vegetables

1-2 lbs boneless, skinless cooked chicken breasts*
1 poblano pepper, seeded
2 jalepeno, seeded
1/4 large yellow onion, cut in half
2 cloves unpeeled garlic
1 can of Rotel Tomatoes with Cilantro and Lime
8 oz tomato sauce
1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth1 cup brown rice*
salt & pepper to taste
lime juice (optional)
cheese (optional)
cilantro (optional)

*Simple method is to cook chicken in the crockpot with a packet of low sodium taco seasoning. I cooked one cup brown rice in my rice cooker, then added it to the soup. I'm sure you could cook it in the soup, but you may need to add a little extra liquid and increase cooking time.
Directions:
Place peppers, onions and garlic (and any other veggies you want to add, I threw in a few carrots too) on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss around to cover with oil. Roast vegetables at about 425 degrees for approx 20 mins. (This will depend on how many and what types of veggies you used) 
While veggies are roasting, add the can of tomatoes (juice and all), cumin, and tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer.  Add the chicken broth and chicken. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. 
Once the vegetables are done, allow to cool for a few minutes, peel garlic, and toss them all into a food processor (or blender). You can also add a big handful of cilantro if you are on Team CilantroIsAwesome.  If not a fan, use just a small amount or omit.  Pulse until desired texture is reached.  I don't like big chunks of veggies.  Add pureed vegetables to simmering soup.  Add prepared brown rice.
Simmer for about 30 minutes, giving all the flavors a chance to get to know one another.
To serve, give the soup a big squeeze of lime, salt and pepper if needed (I did not add salt), garnish with a little sour cream (or plain yogurt), a sprinkle of parmesan or cheese of choice, and more cilantro!
SO GOOD!!! I wish I had some right now!  Plus, I was able to salvage a recipe fail and turn it into something fabulous!
What is your biggest recipe fail? What did you do with it?  I hate to waste food, but I've been known to feed the garbage can on more than one occasion.

Linking up with Life as Mom, Miz Helen's Country Cottage, A Little Nosh, The Mandatory Mooch, Eat at Home

3 comments:

  1. This Soup is awesome and I can't wait to try it, just love the flavor combination! Enjoy your weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken Tortilla Soup is a fave go-to for us in using up a leftover roasted chicken. Love the idea of roasting the veggies first. And kudos on overcoming the fail -- I recently had a cheesemaking recipe that didn't turn out as I'd hoped, but happily after a week of ripening it became a very nice cheese that we added to the country pate we made yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wanted to try my hand at making mozzarella but have yet to do it!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...