Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Rolo Cereal Treats with Brownie Mix

brrrrr! It actually feels like winter Fall this morning!  Since my puppy did not get the memo that I am NOT a morning person, he had me up and outside at 5:30am....and I had to grab my coat!  Granted, this is the South, so if it drops below 70, it's cold.  But I dare say, it was in the 40's! (Of course, it's supposed to reach the upper 70's later today).  Anyway, enough about the weather.  It's just that the chill in the air is finally making me accept the fact that Fall is here, and right around the corner is Halloween!  So...I made you some "spooky" treats.
But not just any cereal treats...ones with gooey candy pieces, and brownie mix.  And spooky sprinkles.  And Cheerios mixed with Rice Krispies...b/c I want to lower your cholesterol levels.  Ok, maybe that last part isn't entirely true.  Not that I want you to have high cholesterol...but...well, never mind.
I must say, adding Rolos to cereal treats is pretty brilliant.  I'm sure I'm not the first person to come up with this...but let's just pretend I am ;-)  And adding brownie mix....well, you know how I just made the Brownie Biscoff Puppy Chow...I'm a little obsessed.

Rolo Cereal Treats with Brownie Mix

  • 6 cups cereal (I used a combo of Cheerios and Rice Krispies)
  • 3 T. butter
  • 1 bag of miniature marshmallows (minus a few my kids ate)
  • 1/4 cup brownie mix (*I will use 1/2 cup next time)
  • 1/2 cup Rolos candy - frozen and halved (optional)

  1. Melt butter over medium heat in a large pot. Once melted, add marshmallows and stir until almost melted. 
  2. Add brownie mix and stir until marshmallows are completely melted and brownie mix is incorporated.  Remove from heat and add cereal.  Mix until coated.  
  3. Add frozen candy pieces and stir.  You have to do this  fairly quickly b/c the mixture begins to cool and it is difficult to get the candy mixed in.  (but is it a bad thing to have a few clumps of chocolate and caramel candy? Not in my world.)  
  4. Place mixture into a greased 13 x 9 inch pan (can use parchment/wax paper/aluminum foil for easy removal if desired.)  Mash cereal treats into pan, I like to spray my hands with cooking spray and use my hands.  But utensils are okay too.  Top with sprinkles if desired. 
  5. Let treats cool, then cut into squares.  Store in airtight container.  They lasted about 24 hours at my house.  If that.


10 comments:

  1. I really, really, really love a good cereal treat. I like to pretend I'm buying Special K because it's on sale and I care about my figure, but really it's so I can mix those suckers with marshmallows and anything else I can find in the kitchen. Candy corn is especially delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha - had to laugh about you being concerned about your cholesterol with these treats!!

    Um, yes, they indeed look insulin worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious and gooey combination! Can't wait to try this on my grandkids (and then send them home to their mom :)). Thanks for sharing on Tasty Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous idea! My husband and daughter loves rolos and would gobble these right up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rollo will have me every time, this will be an awesome recipe! Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I found you via the Delicous Dishes Link Party! I am following you now. I'm starting a new creative meme on Friday and I'd love you to join us!

    Diana
    Diana Rambles
    Bento Blog Network
    Link Rink

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays at the Mandatory Mooch. I loved this recipe so much that it will be FEATURED this week. I hope you will link up again. The party will be live Wednesday night. www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm featuring this recipe today on my Facebook page. Thanks!! Nichi
    http://www.facebook.com/TheMandatoryMooch

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...