Monday, October 1, 2012

Crescent Breakfast Casserole

Do you like breakfast food?  Are you a breakfast for breakfast person, or a breakfast for dinner person?  Personally, I can eat breakfast food any time of day (or night). I love it, and luckily, the rest of my crowd does to.  Another bonus is that most of the breakfast foods I make are pretty quick to get on the table...like grits...the ultimate Southern breakfast dish; sausage, bacon, pancakes, etc.

The other evening I was caught at dinner time without a plan, and with a pretty bare pantry/fridge.  The kids are clamoring for dinner and I was searching...hard.  When I spotted a can of crescent rolls, I started searching the internet for some type of easy casserole with a crescent roll 'crust'.  I had a few eggs, about a half carton of Egg Beaters, some random cheeses...now we are getting somewhere! I found this Crescent Breakfast Casserole over at  Bakin' and Eggs and yay! I had dinner!

Crescent Breakfast Casserole from Bakin' and Eggs

8 oz. can of crescent rolls (I used reduced fat)
8-10 slices of bacon, fried and crumbled OR your choice of breakfast meat  **To save time, I used precooked bacon that I just microwaved for 30 seconds!
6-8 eggs, beaten  **I used 4 eggs and a 1/2 cup of Egg Beaters
2 cups shredded cheese (jack, cheddar, colby – whatever you have on hand)
2-3 tbsp milk
salt and pepper, to taste
cooking spray
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare a 13 x 9 or 11 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray (use 6ish eggs if you’re using the 11 x 9 and 8ish if you’re using the 13 x 9).
Line the prepared baking dish with crescent roll dough, letting it come up the sides a bit. (Unroll and press together seams.)
Layer the crumbled bacon and cheese over the crescent dough. Beat eggs with milk, salt and pepper and pour over bacon and cheese.
Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the center is set. Let cool for a few minutes and then cut into squares and serve.

--I served this with grits and fruit, and everyone liked it (except for Mr. Three, who can't eat eggs...he had bacon, a bagel and fruit).  I loved how quickly it came together, and it is pretty versatile so you could change it up to suit your families' taste buds.  Add peppers, onions, seasonings, different meats, no meat, etc.

What is your 'go to' meal when you need something quick, fast and in a hurry?! (I can use all the suggestions I can get!)

I'm linking up at The Dedicated House, Homemaker on a Dime, Skip to my Lou, Mom's Crazy Cooking, Naptime Creations, Mandy's Recipe Box, It's a Blog Party, All the Small Stuff, 33 Shades of Green, Blessed with Grace, Life as Mom, Eat at Home (Ingredient Spotlight: Bacon)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that I'm following you ! This look absolutely delicious. Thank you so much for sharing:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...