Monday, October 1, 2012

Lifelock- Identity Theft in a Virtual World

This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of LifeLock Facebook for SocialSpark. All opinions are 100% mine.

This post may just scare you to death.  The information sure scared me!  Unless you are extremely computer savvy and take uber precautions, you are probably at risk for identity theft.  The statistics are alarming!  Sure, I take some precautions...I use a home shredder for mail, reciepts, etc.  I don't make my passwords super obvious, I try to change them periodically...but did you know -

  • 6.6% of identity theft victims are smartphone users?
  • 6.8% are social media users who click on applications
  • 8.2% are social media users who have "checked in" using their smartphone GPS and
  • 10.1% are LinkedIn users!  Yikes!

How many of us fit into those categories?!  I'm seriously freaking out over here.  But more importantly, I am going to take more precautions.  Want more scary stats....

  • A professional hacker can breach your password security in .000224 seconds if you have 6 characters in your password with no symbol
  • If you have 10 characters and one symbol in your password, it takes up to 20 days for a professional to break in. 

So how protected do you feel against identity theft?  How hack friendly is your password?  Kind of sobering information isn't it?  Think about how much of our lives are on our computers, tablets and smartphones.  

AmeliaIZEA | skitch.com

So what can we do to protect ourselves?  Besides be much more diligent in our on-line lives and activities, there is an additional solution.  Check out LifeLock on Facebook to get more information and visit their website at Lifelock.com too.  Find out what services they can offer to protect you from identity fraud.  It's a scary thing to find out someone else has been using your personal information, and spending YOUR hardearned money!  With the average cost of identity theft costing the victim over $1500, I definitely want to protect myself.  I don't have that kind of extra money to throw away! How about you?!  Also, with 11.6 million adults being victims of identity fraud in 2011, it makes me realize that it could certainly happen to me too.  

Do you use Lifelock?  Do you see how a service like this would be beneficial?  How do you protect yourself online, in this era where we are plugged in 24/7?  

Visit Sponsor's Site

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...