For those of us who enjoy a super easy meal, I gotcha covered. This casserole is SO easy, and unlike other breakfast casseroles, it doesn't have to sit for hours before baking...but it can! We had this for dinner, but obviously, it would be good for breakfast too!
Egg "McMuffin" Casserole4 English muffins, split *I used Nature's Own 100 calorie multi-grain
6 oz Canadian bacon
1 cup cheddar cheese *I used a blend of cheeses
4 eggs *I used half Egg Beaters & 2 Eggland's Best eggs
1 1/4 cup skim milk
- Preheat over to 325 degrees F.
- Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Cube English muffins and chop Canadian bacon.
- Add half of the cubed English muffins in a single layer.
- Top with half of the Canadian bacon and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Layer the remaining English muffins and Canadian bacon and 1/2 cup more cheese.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl until combined. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the casserole.
- Wrap the baking dish with plastic wrap and place refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 1 day.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes.
adapted from Plain Chicken
Verdict? This was good. It tasted like the traditional breakfast casseroles I have made in the past, not really an Egg McMuffin from the golden arches, but that could be b/c I altered the recipe some and did not use American cheese, which is what is on a McMuffin. I like the fact that it only has to sit for an hour, but can sit all day. Of course, Mr. Three is allergic to eggs, so he had something different. But knowing him, he would not have eaten it anyway! It also can be whipped up super fast, so if you wanted to put it together in the morning and leave it until dinner time, you could. (Or the night before, to have for breakfast.) We had grits on the side, because grits are super awesome, and grapes. Easy peasy.
I'm linking up at Holly's Stamping Addiction, The Dedicated House,Homemaker on a Dime, Delightfully Dowling, Skip to my Lou,Making the World Cuter, Moms Crazy Cooking, Project Inspire, Flour Me with Love, Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms, My Favorite Finds, Serendipity and Spice, Stone Gable, I Should Be Mopping the Floor, Mrs. Happy Homemaker, This Gal Cooks, The Gooseberry Patch Blog, and Mums Make Lists