DIY "Twix" Bars - originally adapted from Hoosier Homemade
Club Crackers (or store brand)
1 c. Graham Crackers, crushed
3/4 c. Brown Sugar
1/3 c. White Sugar
1/3 c. skim milk
1/2 c. light butter
For frosting -
1/3 cup peanut butter (or PB replacement - I used WowButter)
1/3 cup Biscoff spread1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Place a single layer of Club crackers in the bottom of a 13x9 baking pan, set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugars, milk and butter and bring to a boil. Continuously stir and boil for 4-5 minutes. The mixture will thicken and have a caramel consistency, and pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Pour caramel mixture over the crackers and spread evenly to coat. Careful, it's HOT.
- Immediately top with another layer of Club crackers, pressing down slightly.
- Chill for about 30 minutes. (I don't think we waited that long!)
- While bars are chillin' - combine peanut butter/wowbutter, Biscoff and chocolate chips in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave for one minute. Stir well to combine. Microwave in 15 second increments if needed until mixture is smooth.
- Pour chocolate mixture over cooled bars and spread evenly. Allow to cool, then cut into "Twix" bars or squares. ENJOY!
Verdict? SO GOOD!! We all loved them and my kids agreed that they tasted very much like a Twix candy bar. They are definitely a keeper! They would make a great addition to your cookie tray, to give as gifts, or just enjoy with your family. It's also a great recipe to make with the kids b/c they can layer the bottom layer of crackers (just make sure they understand that the crackers need to be touching each other. We had a few gaps :-) which made the caramel stick to the bottom of the pan.) An adult needs to handle the caramel mixture b/c it does get super hot. I also did the second layer of crackers to prevent any burns. The kids can also measure things out for you, stir the chocolate mixture, and help spread the frosting. Most of all, the kids can help eat them!
I hope everyone has a great week, holds their loved ones a little tighter, and prays to make this world a safer, better place for us all.
I'm sharing this recipe with - Holly's Stamping Addiction, The Dedicated House , Homemaker on a Dime,Delightfully Dowling, Skip to my Lou, Project Inspire, This Gal Cooks, Mrs. Happy Homemaker, Crazy for Crust, Naptime Creations, Mandy's Recipe Box, It's a Blog Party, Weiner Tales, 33 Shades of Green, Blessed with Grace, ZentMrs. & The Mr.